Registered Therapeutic CounsellorNasreen Gulamhusein, RTC
I am a Registered Therapeutic Counsellor (RTC #1077) and a member of the Association of Counselling Cooperative Therapists of Canada (ACCT). I have been counselling individuals, couples and families for more than five years, helping them to achieve their therapeutic goals. I previously ran the Breathing Space Support Group for Moms in Port Moody for 2½ years with fellow counsellor, Shahaa Kakar. I feel proud knowing my life’s work is to encourage and empower my clients to live more freedom-filled, connected and purposeful lives.
Some of my areas of concentration are:
- Parenthood: Post-partum depression and anxiety, single-parenting struggles, support for parents of children who are struggling/acting out
- Relationships: communication struggles, loss of intimacy and connection, sexual and emotional affairs, end of relationship conversations and transition, and co-parenting relationships
- Families: Blended family communication, parent-child conflict, teen support
- Everyone: Loss and grief, life transitions, self-esteem/self-worth struggles, spiritual crisis
Personal Story & Therapeutic Approach
My journey to becoming a counsellor began in my early 20s when I found myself emotionally exhausted from the amount of energy it was taking to pretend that “everything was okay.” My life looked good on the outside yet, so little felt good on the inside. I was scared, lost and angry that I didn’t understand why I felt this way – and even more frustrated that I had no idea how to change it. The depth of these emotions sent me on a journey of self-discovery that took many paths and allowed for healing, growth and expansion to occur. Over time and with practice, I learned to understand myself fully so I could finally get out of my own way and live the life I desired. The result of this journey helped me move from a life of exhaustion, indecision and disconnection to one of self-compassion, peace, resilience and joy. And there isn’t an end goal – I remain a constant and curious student of life, learning new layers of myself every day. This learning is part of my joy. The desire to give this gift to others inspired me to become a counsellor.
The kind of therapy I offer is grounded in transpersonal psychology, which is rooted in the belief that psychology and spirituality are interconnected. It sees the therapist as a guide (not the all-knowing expert) who will help you to come in contact with your most authentic self, helping you transform your pain into purpose. It believes that human struggle is rooted in our disconnection with self and others as we are all (locally and globally) connected to one another. It explains that our words and actions have impact on that collective movement towards deeper peace or greater pain. It knows that we are greater than our ego thoughts and when we each work toward our own healing the ripple effect of this act reaches far and wide, even past what is possible to comprehend.
I am educated in and guided by the following modalities, which I make use of in my client sessions:
• Attachment Theory
• Bowen Family Systems Theory
• Gestalt (Psychodrama) Therapy
• Buddhist/Mindfulness Practices
• Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP)
• Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
• Accelerated Experiential Dynamic Psychotherapy (AEDP)
• Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT): I mostly use this in my couples therapy sessions
My therapeutic approach is guided by a deep desire to know my clients fully and to provide them with a safe, non-judgemental space to explore their inner emotional terrain (past and present). As your counsellor I commit to offering you not only my knowledge but also my heart. I will be fiercely compassionate, yet straightforward. I will offer you patience and encouragement. I will be creative and offer you opportunities to shift and grow, while remaining respectful of where you feel challenged and the pace you want to take. Above all else, I will steadfastly hold the belief that you can find your way through your struggle and live the life you truly want — even when you have forgotten it is possible.
Clients’ Words of Love
“Nasreen has the incredible ability to walk alongside you in your journey, without judgement and with unconditional support. Her kind and gentle presence gives me the space to feel what I need to feel. Working with her has completely changed my perspective on my relationships with others, and most importantly, with myself. I came to Nasreen feeling like I had no power or control over my life. Now, more than ever, I feel like I have the clarity and courage to walk on my path without fear or doubt. I am forever grateful to Nasreen for helping me uncover my potential for personal growth. I cannot thank her enough!” -E.L.
““Nasreen has helped my husband and I become better communicators through our couples counselling sessions. We hit a roadblock in our marriage and Nasreen helped us find our way back together. She is gentle with our feelings but straightforward and tells it like it is when need be. Thank you Nasreen for helping us learn to share and be open with each other again.” – The Thomases (couple)
“I’ve been seeing Nasreen since 2016, and it’s honestly one of the best decisions I could’ve made. When I started, I was going through a lot of things in my personal life and felt quite anxious. Through our sessions Nasreen helped me to become a more well-adjusted, less anxious person. Nasreen is a wonderful counsellor – she never judges and always listens to what I have to say with the highest level of professionalism, empathy and kindness. I always feel heard and cared for when I come to see her, and I know I have a safe space to feel whatever I’m feeling. I’m so grateful for the positive impact she’s had on my life, I cannot recommend her enough.” – Ashley
“Our time with Nasreen has opened up our communication and allowed us to hear each other from a different perspective. Nasreen is caring, straightforward, and non-judgemental. Our work with her has strengthened our marriage and given us a space to work through challenges.Plus, we both just really enjoy our sessions!” -C & E (couple)
“I would highly recommend Nasreen. She is extremely professional, knowledgeable, kind and supportive. I have found my counselling experience with Nasreen to be one of the best experiences of self-care and self- reflection I have ever engaged in. Nasreen is a gentle and authentic guide; she listens carefully, offers perspective and, when necessary, questions self-defeating thinking. Her ability and willingness to follow the therapeutic process from wherever I was on any given occasion made my experience all the more valuable. The office space is comfortable, calming and safe. It’s also easy to book!” -J
“It was our first time seeing someone but we were in a place in our relationship where we needed some outside help. We first chose Nasreen because she’s close to home and has good reviews. We had no counselling experience and we were a little bit nervous to face our problems in front of a stranger, even knowing she is a professional. Gladly, her office is cozy and the atmosphere is comfortable. During our sessions we had a major realization. It was a great feeling! It was like we found a missing piece of the puzzle (that we didn’t even know was missing!). Rather than simply tell us, she guided us towards finding it ourselves – we truly believe we couldn’t have done without her. She has helped us to understand ourselves and our relationship better in so many ways. We highly recommend Nasreen to anyone – she is wonderful!” -Y & C
“Nasreen has helped me find answers to what was happening to me and why “it” was happening now. Knowing that has helped me work towards healing and for that I’m so grateful to her. I am able to share with her without fear of judgement – she has empathy and kindness in her words. I trust her and feel safe in her guidance.” -V.R.
“I want to express my gratitude for the counselling sessions we had together. I openly talk to my friends and family about my counselling experience with you. I have been to other counsellors and my experience with you highlighted for me that a key component about counselling is fit between counsellor and client. I pass that along to others in my recommendation!” -Past Client
Education & Training
- Designation: Registered Therapeutic Counsellor, RTC #1077
- Simon Fraser University, BA Communications & Minor in Psychology, 1996-2001
- Ryerson School of Journalism (Toronto), BA Journalism, 2004-2006
- Clearmind International Institute: 3-Year Counsellor Training Program in Transpersonal Psychology, 2010-2013
- Associate Counsellor, Steadfast Counselling, 2015-2017
- Gordon Neufeld Conference – Making Sense of Kids, 2018
- Gordon Neufeld Conference – Press Pause and Play, 2019
- CoParenting Better with John Paul Boyd, 2017
- Dr. Shefali – Concious Parenting Workshops, 2017 & 2018
- Parenting After Trauma Workshop, 2019
Relationship & Couples Training
- Associate Counsellor for Marriage & Couples Counselling, Steadfast Counselling, 2015-2017
- Couples Institute, Year Long Program, 2017-2018
- Ethics and Couples Counselling, ACCT AGM, 2018
- Art of Couples Counselling Workshop, 2019
Modality Specific Trainings
- Introduction to AEDP with Dale Trimble, 2014
- Introduction to Somatic Therapy, ACCT AGM, 2016
- EFT (Emotionally Focused Therapy), 4-day Intensive, 2017
- AEDP Workshop: Neuroplasticity in Action, 2018
- AEDP Workshop: Transforming Trauma through Fierce Love, 2018
Personal Development & Growth
- The Weekend Within, Deepak Chopra, 2016
- Enlightenment Intensives (3 days each), 2017 & 2019
- Senior Assistant at various Clearmind International Workshops: Vulnerable Leadership, The Edge and The Awakening
I am available for sessions on Tuesdays (10-7pm), Thursdays (10-7pm) and Friday (12:30 to 4:00pm). Please click the “Book an Appointment” button to make an appointment with me. Please note, my evening appointments book up 3-4 weeks in advance.